Kamado Fraud Forum    
Kamado Fraud Forum    

Look Out Johnnyboy!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Kamado Fraud Forum Index :: Problems with Richard J
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:35 pm    

Look Out Johnnyboy!

RJ's moving in on your turf:

Quote:
George
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 9:10 pm:
Harry, what is the proper shut-down procedure in the winter?

Richardj
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 9:26 pm:
George, I am not Harry, but I would get a cover when Kamados are living in harsh climates. We have started making them tailored in both Sunbrella and a high quality, but much less expensive material or they are available from the coverworks (John Edwards, address found on the forum).

I am sure Harry will advise on his procedure as he certain would know from living in the iceland. If not I will see if I can find it.

Better yet, how about this? Richard could take cover orders FOR you. The Kustomer can pay him when they buy a kamado, he'll tell you where to send the cover, and then he'll pay you after.

Razz

No. Seriously.

Confused

What?

Shocked
Nemesis

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:06 am    

Quote:
high quality, but much less expensive material

Shocked Very Happy Very Happy Shocked
fishtail-99

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:29 am    

This is typical Richard Johnson. "High quality" is essentially a lie. "Less Expensive" is probably true. He can't afford to make anything out of quality materials because of his money troubles and declining customer base. So he lies and tries to resurrect his business by selling shoddy products.
Johnnyboy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:15 am    

Yup, Yup, Yup.... Thanks.

I suspected RJ was up to no good a few weeks back when he asked for my prices. Said the girls wanted to know. Bad juju when you start blaming your children for your actions.

BTW, Anyone wanting a cheap cover I can make cheap covers too! But in a couple years you're not going to be very happy.

My latest Sunbrella covers now come with cleaning instructions sewn inside.

And for those feeling the need; You can also order now with a quick-release buckle/strap to secure the cover tight around the legs.
The Spanker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:29 am    

Johnnyboy wrote:
BTW, Anyone wanting a cheap cover I can make cheap covers too! But in a couple years you're not going to be very happy.

RJ might be onto something. It doesn't make a lot of sense to invest in a long lived cover for one of his cookers.
Johnnyboy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:52 am    

Good Point, Spanker!!!

My cover outlasted the K by far.
foxhound

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:28 pm    

Maybe the girls planned on taking up sewing! Laughing Laughing I bet they come up with some fabric that fades in a couple of months. Or maybe it will come apart before it fades! It probably comes with a 5 minute warranty that starts when the item ships!
jamesmb

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:00 am    

I must confess the cover option seemed an oxymoron to me - after all isn't that what the bloomin tiles are for? Either they do their job and you don't need a cover or they don't do their job and .....

Guess I need to buy a bucket (to put the tiles in) Smile
Johnnyboy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:54 am    

Jamesmb, No disrespect whatsoever; but isn't your analogy like saying to a boat owner; why cover your boat, isn't the finish supposed to protect it.

There's lots of reasons to cover/protect investments from harsh elements like sun, dirt, tree sap, etc. Same reasons folks like to protect their boats, cars, patio furniture, motorbikes, etc.

Back to tiled cookers, one reason tiles fail is because moisture gets behind them and freezes, thus popping them off.

In fact talking about a bucket to collect tile; I use a large size ziplock bag for my fallen tile.

Unfortunately, based on RJ recommendation (when I bought mine) that Kamados didn't need covers, I didn't put a cover on mine either until after large areas of hollow sound started forming under the tile. As such a cover hasn't stopped them from falling; although may have prolonged it.

Next time I'll not only cover my ceramic cooker, but I'll also seal the grout between the tile so I can continue grilling in the rain.
foxhound

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:02 am    

Just a reminder that there have been numerous tile failures in the non-freezing climate zones as well. For Kamado to attribute the problem on extreme temperature exposure is a cop-out. They try to cut their costs and use sub-standard products and do not supervise their production process carefully. Then they don't take responsibility for their product failures, they blame it on other things. It is simply Kamado Bullshit.
Nemesis

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:43 am    

Quote:
Jamesmb, No disrespect whatsoever; but isn't your analogy like saying to a boat owner; why cover your boat, isn't the finish supposed to protect it.

There's lots of reasons to cover/protect investments from harsh elements like sun, dirt, tree sap, etc. Same reasons folks like to protect their boats, cars, patio furniture, motorbikes, etc.

Boats aren't quite a fair comparison. They fill up with rain, leaves, dirt and debris.

I think some things can be reasonably assumed not to require a cover, ceramic and tiled grills included. To imply not, is approaching the school of thought that finds people with covers over all of their furniture, plastic runners to cover all the traffic patterns in the carpet, and after-market floor mats to protect the OEM floor mats in the car.

Having to cover my grill to keep it from falling apart is about as convenient/realistic as having to keep my car covered when I park it in my driveway. I drive a Jeep, sans doors/windows year round, and with the canopy removed for at least half the year. My Jeep INTERIOR, including fabric seats, dash and stereo components, has done better in the elements than my POSK EXTERIOR!
Gerard

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:13 pm    

jamesmb wrote:
I must confess the cover option seemed an oxymoron to me - after all isn't that what the bloomin tiles are for?

Actually the tiles are to hide the identity of the underlying material. It's hard to convince people that their cooker is made of a high quality, glass-like, corningware-caliber ceramic when they can actually see it.

Thankfully they've mostly abandoned that pretense. For the past few years they've pretty much dropped the term "ceramic" for the term "refractory material," often preceded by the terms "high tech" and "proprietary."

But the tiles remain cause it's tough to sell $1000 chunks of cement.
Johnnyboy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:29 pm    

I just want to make sure I'm clear on the cover-it or not debate.

I do not mean to say covering your grill will stop it from falling apart. If that's what I said or implied I'm sorry.

Covering your grill is a personal choice, simply provides protection from the environment.
tkline01

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:59 pm    

I have a KK now and have one of Johnny's covers. I'm not worried about my KK falling apart like a POSK. I just don't like by KK getting covered with dust and bird crap! I'd rather hose of my cover when it gets soiled and have a nice clean KK!! Smile
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:03 pm    

THERE YOU GO!!!

http://www.kamado.com/discus/messages/4/49948.html?1209426653#POST5412 6

Richardj wrote:
We are pleased to announce we are making Kamado Covers ourselves. There is a choice of two materials; the more expensive “Sunbrella” by DuPont or a lesser expensive but high grade heavy water resistance canvas material used extensively for awnings. The price for #7, for example, is $129.99 for Sunbrella and $49.99 for Canvas. There is a wide range of colors available for both materials. Please see picture below for a sample of Sunbrella #7.

For harsh colder climates or NW rain we are now highly recommending either cover when your Kamado is not in frequent use or at all times after use in the winter’s colder climates. For all other areas we do feel that a cover will increase the longevity and reduce the need to seal or otherwise protect your Kamado. This is especially applicable in coastal areas that are exposed to salt air.

OOOoooo! PRETTY!!!

Shocked
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Kamado Fraud Forum Index :: Problems with Richard J All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: