Kamado Fraud Forum    
Kamado Fraud Forum    

Reaching Out To The Forum for Assistance
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Kamado Fraud Forum Index :: Customer Service Nightmares
View previous topic :: View next topic  
foxhound

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:32 am    

Reaching Out To The Forum for Assistance

These posts survived the night on their forum...the forum police must be sleeping! The irony is the other post made in the same time period is about the excellent customer service of Johnnyboy. Johnnyboy is showing up the Johnsons again.

Quote:
Killington
Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 6:41 pm:

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------
I need to reach out to the forum for assistance as I've had no success in reaching Kamado via phone or email after two months of attempts. I've been a Kamado fan and a source of referral for at least 3 additional Kamado sales to friends/co-workers but am not receiving basic assistance for a product that is advertised having a "Lifetime Warranty"

I view my problem as a "Catastrophic Failure" but am hoping that either through assistance from the forum or intervention from Kamado Service I can get my problem fixed or resolved.

My top damper is completely frozen shut and then when attempting some of the techniques in the forum to unfreeze the damper it broke in three pieces. I’ve exhausted all attempts to unfreeze the damper and believe that I now need a replacement top lid and damper. I would like to understand what my options are for fixing/repairing. I’ve spent numerous weeks trying to unfreeze the damper from the spider without any success.

This is what I’ve done:

-Used a complete can of PB Penetrating Catalyst to unfreeze the damper rod from the star. Spraying liberally from the top and bottom
-Used a dremel with a wire brush attachment to completely clean the threads
-Used a blow torch multiple times as well as started multiple fires to try to unstick the threads with heat
-When the damper cracked in 3 pieces leaving the wire rod exposed I used a large pipe wrench to apply additional leverage to the damper rod to try to unscrew it.
-With the strong pressure that I’ve applied to unscrew the damper tiles are starting to pop off both the bottom and lid. Small cracks are showing throughout the top and bottom of the complete unit due to the force applied with the wrench.

I’ve attached a picture of the lid with the damper rod exposed after the top damper hood cracked into 3 pieces.

Help!

AD

Jamesmb
Post Number: 70
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 4:44 am:

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------
There have been posts on here about a new stainless collar type fixing that would be good for you.
Good luck trying to contact anyone at Kamado. From my own experience it seems they are only good at taking deposits these days.
GRB

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:45 pm    

He's the guy that won a #5 at the 2004 Kamado Kookoff in SAC before the evac to MX.

Got a photo of him HERE

He's the guy on the left, you already know the guy on the rt, and I am in the middle.
foxhound

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:02 pm    

RJ has been touting his new damper top just for these 'rare' incidents, then won't even return the guy's calls or emails. Next they will be telling him to use the saucer from a terra cotta pot like Deborah did a few years back. I think Dennis has sold a few of the damper tops/spider assemblies to people that couldn't get RJ or daughters to respond before.
foxhound

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:19 pm    

Grasshopper has a valid point:

Quote:

Grasshopper
Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 3:51 pm:

I don't get it. Killington has been emailing and phoning for two months and ignored. Why have him email again? Why don't you just answer the emails and or phone calls he has been sending? Customer service means you respond to the customers' problem/issue. Deleting him and telling him to start emailing again does not sound like responsive customer service.

(Message edited by grasshopper on March 05, 2008)
foxhound

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:40 am    

Poor Jeff tries again!
Quote:

Jeffm
Post Number: 30
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 8:18 am:

Richelle,

I've been trying since July of '07 to buy an upper bracket for my #7. Can't seem to get anybody to sell it to me. Anything you could do would be really appreciated.

Jeff

I suspect Killington will have to try a few more months if the current wait time is 7 months per Jeff.
GRB

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:49 pm    

The top damper on my 2002 Textured #7 is locked up just like James'... I haven't tried to break it apart, but the neck of the dome is already compromised (from transporting to a cookoff in 2004) so I am leery to put a lot of torque to untwist it.
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:32 pm    

Yikes. Sorry to hear it. Be very, very careful.

Nothing I tried worked, unfortunately. But it can't hurt to try the pbblaster or liquid wrench or whatever. Sometimes people get lucky. I always cringe at introducing chemicals in the cooker, but it's about all you can do. Good luck, man.
Johnnyboy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:41 am    

GRB, have you tried heating up the threads?

You might try using that ember blowing/charcoal lighter/weed torch of yours. Hehe-he. That ought to heat it up good.
GRB

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 10:25 am    

Yeah,

I put a good bit of heat on it, but didn't budge.c

Now I am going to pop out the spider (sinve there is a big hole in the neck -- damaged from a 2004 cookoff trip). I can pop out one of the spider studs, then probably get the top hat off and work on the rusted bit on a bench.
mpit

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 5:08 am    

freeing stuck top

I have had the same problem a couple of times and the spray can of PBB worked fine for me after I tapped on the steel rod from underneath the top.
CharlieBrown

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 6:55 am    

Re: freeing stuck top

mpit wrote:
I have had the same problem a couple of times and the spray can of PBB worked fine for me after I tapped on the steel rod from underneath the top.

I tried that, but when I tapped lightly the kamado neck broke apart and the whole top fell off. Examining the spider nut and shaft afterward I found they were completely fused - nothing would have gotten them apart.

Confused
Johnnyboy

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 7:25 am    

GRB, How's the hat/spider coming along? Or should I say coming out? Did you get it removed?

I was wondering; even though one leg of the spider is loose, if the other legs would come out without causing damage?

You may need to cut a leg and purchase the replacement model spider. If so, I hope you have a cutting torch. I hate to think of trying to hack saw from underneath, and I'd be afraid the vibration from power tools (sawzall) might crack the dome.

Good luck,
John
foxhound

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:16 am    

Johnnyboy...you have a pm
Nemesis

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:46 am    

Johnnyboy,

I'm not sure I would advise anyone to order anything from the Johnsons (especially among this audience), as it will likely never arrive. Even if you are lucky enough to get anything from them, it will likely take months or years, and more headache than its worth. Hell, even if the thing came COD, you are taking your chances that it will be the correct item, and God help you if you need some service after the sale.

There are alternative ways to repair a broken dome top. Majestik on the KK forum made a great repair to his, and posted pictures of the process, too. Since the replacement model spider that you are referring to is just RJs copy of another manufacturers design improvement, I would suggest that interested parties get the part from the original source.
Johnnyboy

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 9:15 am    

Good point Nemesis.

Anyone else I would not advise going that route without a bunch of caveats (to caution about what you said); but GRB has done more for the family than most, and knows their behavoir well.

Hoped (for GRB sake) maybe he had an "inside track" with them.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Kamado Fraud Forum Index :: Customer Service Nightmares All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: