Kamado Fraud Forum    
Kamado Fraud Forum    

The Word Kamado - a follow-up.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Kamado Fraud Forum Index :: Problems with Richard J
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:55 pm    

The Word Kamado - a follow-up.

Hello Boys and Girls,

Today we're going back in time, to 1963, to interview Mr. Richard B. Johnson, of Long Beach, California. Richard is an importer of a special Japanese barbecue called a "Kamado". Thank you for being with us today, Mr. Johnson. Can you please explain to our audience what a "Kamado" is?

Quote:
In Japanese, "Kamado" means an oven, cooker, smoker, or stove— even a fireplace. Although there is no comparable word In English, you will find that a Kamado can be all these things. In any language, it is the most versatile and effective means of baking, roasting, barbecuing, and smoking all kinds of foods. The unique and decorative Kamado is made by an ancient Japanese earthenware process and is designed to last indefinitely. It has no equal for SIMPLE, CLEAN, SAFE, more INEXPENSIVE and ENJOYABLE outdoor cooking.

Thank you very much Mr. 1963-Johnson. That was quite illuminating.

Here is the ad from the Independent Press-Telegram, Sunday, July 21, 1963 Long Beach, CA:

Wink
The Spanker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:55 pm    

Admin:

That may be what you thought you heard, but just like the junior senator from NY, your memory is suspect.

The senator has Sinbad to help her with her facts.

You have me........See:

Richard Johnson on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 5:51 pm wrote:

The misrepresentation as to where this name came from or that "Kamado" in Japanese means a stove or oven etc. this is dead wrong, it means absolutely nothing in Japanese. I came up with this name.

So either your memory of that interview is wrong, or you just caught him fibbing.
Nemesis

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:11 pm    

Quote:
So either your memory of that interview is wrong, or you just caught him fibbing

No way the latter could be true, Admin must have been mistaken Razz
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:49 pm    

Richard Johnson on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 5:51 pm wrote:

The misrepresentation as to where this name came from or that "Kamado" in Japanese means a stove or oven etc. this is dead wrong, it means absolutely nothing in Japanese. I came up with this name.

Well, Richard is an inventor after all. In this case, I think we can safely say that he "invented" the story about inventing the word.

Wink
tkline01

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:59 am    

According to Wikipedia:

The name "kamado" is, in fact, the Japanese word for “stove” or “cooking range”. The kanji character for “kamado” is 竈. In hiragana, “kamado” is written かまど. In katakana, it is written カマド. Literally, it means “place for the cauldron”. The word has become a generic term for this style of ceramic cooker.

And Wikipedia has this right:

Modern Kamado style cookers are made from a variety of materials including high fire ceramics (Big Green Egg, Primo, Grill Dome), refractory materials (Komodo Kamado), traditional terra cotta (Imperial Kamado) and a mix of portland cement and crushed lava rock (Kamado). Outer surfaces also vary from a high gloss ceramic glaze (Big Green Egg, Primo), paint (Grill Dome), textured stucco-like surface (Komodo Kamado, Kamado) and ceramic tiles (Komodo Kamado, Kamado). The use of modern ceramic and refractory materials ensures that the units seldom crack – a common fault in the original Japanese design. (Brands using older materials, notably Kamado (portland cement) still suffer from cracking problems.)
mpit

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 5:41 am    

I have owned a #& and a #3 for almost 5 years and have had no cracking on either one. But after reading thist stuff it sounds like my day will come? Does anybody here know about the other cookers that make work like a Kamado but not have the inherant problems of the Kamado. Prim, gren egg, grill dome etc?

And do these companies offer any sustomer service?

ty for your suggestions
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 6:58 am    

Anyone but Kamado.

I think you'll find that pretty much any company other than kamado will give you good service and support. Especially KomodoKamado and BigGreenEgg.

Wink
kingofgrills

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 4:31 pm    

I can only speak for Big Green Eggs based on experience, and they are absolutely top notch. Plus, they have a very extensive dealer network, so you can get good local service and accessories.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Kamado Fraud Forum Index :: Problems with Richard J All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: