Kamado Fraud Forum    
Kamado Fraud Forum    

The Nam Sang's Final Resting Place

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kamado Fraud Forum Index :: Problems with Richard J
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Spanker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:13 pm    

The Nam Sang's Final Resting Place

Just an interesting video clip of the I Street Bridge in action. Though I knew it was identified as a swingbridge I kept envisioning a drawbridge until I saw this clip.

Note the tall power lines that were the Nam Sang's downfall.

http://s215.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid215.photobucket. com/albums/cc192/TheBeanTeam/IStreetBridge_0001.flv&fs=1&os=1&ap=1

Admin: You may with to consider inserting this clip into the locked Nam Sang thread.
Unbelievable

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:52 am    

Incredible!

Great video Spanker! Here is what he was trying to bring through. It was 72 ft. long. This is a picture of the Nam Sang at Diamond head. Just to be clear Richard Johnson was not involved in the race. Bob Robbs won the 1961 Transpac as the owner-skipper of Nam Sang.
Gerard

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:40 am    

Sports Illustrated July 6. 1959

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG10707 18/index.htm

Click on "View this issue" icon.

Go to p48 for an article on her.
fishtail-99

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:52 am    

That video clip just goes to show you how dramatic RJ's failure was. That power line is waaaaaay up in the air. His mast was even more waaaaaay up in the air. To be sailing a ship with a mast that tall and not to be simply paranoid about approaching any overhead lines is the height of irresponsibility. Oh, wait! We're talking about RJ....
bdonson

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:52 pm    

Makes you wonder if the people whe actually owned the Nam Sang know of it's fate and where they can find the thief Richard. All that work and effort into a boat only to be ruined by a dufus trying to sneak it up a river
Gerard

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:17 pm    

Re: Sports Illustrated July 6. 1959

Gerard wrote:
http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG10707 18/index.htm

Click on "View this issue" icon.

Go to p48 for an article on her.

Oops.

Someone sent me a PM saying that the article doesn't appear on p48. They're right if using the counter on the reader app that loads when "View this issue" icon is clicked. By the reader's page number, the article(s) start at 52.

"Mechanized Marvel Goes to Sea" on reader p52; and "'Nam Sang' From Clunker to Queen" on reader p55.

FYI: The articles started on p48 in the original magazine.
gladididnt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:08 pm    

How Wierd

After reading the Nam Sang article I scrolled thru the rest of the SI pages and on pages 68-72 are a story about a flyer named Max Conrad and his Atlantic crossings in various planes, one of them a single engine Piper Commanche # 110LF which is pictured on pg 68.
The man that taught me to fly, Amos Babb, was a friend of Max's and after Max died Amos owned 110LF. (he didn't steel it though like someone else mentioned in the forum) I flew this plane many times and have over 100 hours in it.
When Max was flying it (for Piper) 110LF held about 17 worlds records for duration of flight which I think still stand.
Amos had the plane for quite a while, than made a deal with some Piper factory people and they were gonna give Amos a new Piper Dakota model and they got 110LF.
Brfore he turned the plane over Amos used the plane to set another record which I think was to land in all 48 contigugious states in 48 hours, or something like that.
When Amos delivered the plane to the new owners in central Illinois he came in gear up and pretty much destroyed it.
He crashed in another plane soon after and was killed. I think he was starting to suffer from alzheimers, he did some "really wierd" things when I was flying with him for the last couple of years.
I tried to print the SI article without any luck, can anyone advise how I can print this.
Also, if your interested in flying at all the story of Max Conrad is very interesting, for starters he was struck in the head by a propeller while saving a young lady, he suffered brain damage to the degree that he had the knowledge of a 5 year old and had to re-learn everything.
CrookedRichard

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:29 pm    

Re: How Wierd

gladididnt wrote:

I tried to print the SI article without any luck, can anyone advise how I can print this.

Click this link to get another format of the story in question:

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG10707 19/index.htm
gladididnt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:59 pm    

Thank You!!

Crooked Richard----- Thank you for your help.
Reading this article makes my fingers tingle, same as I remember whenever I flew Max's 110LF.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kamado Fraud Forum Index :: Problems with Richard J All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: