Kamado Fraud Forum    
Kamado Fraud Forum    

Will the Real Patent Holder Please Stand Up?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Kamado Fraud Forum Index :: Problems with Richard J
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:21 pm    

Will the Real Patent Holder Please Stand Up?

By now we are all well aware of Richard Johnson's claim to have invented and patented the Kamado. He even pretends he invented the word, which, as we have documented elsewhere, he did not.

To this day, his advertising continues to tout "Inventor and Original Patent Holder" as a credential, as this excerpt from a recent Ebay ad demonstrates:

Quote:
Kamado Distribution Company Offers a #5 Kamado Mosaic Tiled Ceramic Charcoal BBQ Grill

This listing is for a NEW Kamado #5 manufactured by the original 1960's USA Patent holder and designer, Richard Johnson. This is not a copy or a knock-off, but a beautiful original newly custom hand made Kamado specifically for you.   You have the option to change the ceramic tile color to one of many other beautiful colors. This Kamado will be shipped world wide from San Diego, California.  You have the opportunity to upgrade to KamadoGas grill that includes our new stainless steel gas burner system.  This will open a whole new world of versatility in ceramic cooking. You can burn propane or natural gas, and if desired, add charcoal to the cooking chamber.  You can enjoy the convenience of using gas along with the flavor produced with charcoal!  Like all of our Kamados, use this cooker for smoking ribs, salmon and turkey or higher temperature grilling of steaks and your favorite dishes.  A Kamado can even be used to bake pizza and bread!  Food stays moist and cooks evenly without the need of a rotisserie.

Many of you are familiar with Richard Johnson's patent, D201,937 dated August 10, 1965: COMBINED BARBECUE AND SMOKER.

But what does the "Des" or "D" in the patent number mean? The "D" stands for "Design". Richard Johnson only had a Design Patent! What does that mean?

From Legalzoom.com:
Quote:
Put simply, a design patent protects an article’s design, while a utility patent protects the article itself. This means that a design patent solely covers the visual, external appearance (ornamentation or shape) of the article. On the other hand, a utility patent covers the way the article functions (is made and used). In addition, utility patents can protect other types of inventions such as machines, processes and chemical compounds.

In some cases, an invention may qualify for both design and utility patent protection. Since they are distinct forms of protection, the inventor would need to apply for both types separately, to take advantage of both forms of protection.

So, if Richard invented the Kamado, why didn't he apply for and receive a Utility Patent? Answer: Because somebody else already had.

That person was Farhad Sazegar. Mr. Sazegar was issued a Design Patent for his ceramic barbecue TWO FULL MONTHS before Richard Johnson.

Farhad Sazegar's Design Patent is D201,416 Dated June 15, 1965: COMBINED BARBECUE GRILL AND SMOKER.

Yes, two months before Richard, Farhad owned this design patent for a kamado-style cooker. You may have seen these cookers, they're pretty cool and can still be found on eBay or the occasional yard sale. They are called "Casa-Q" cookers and come in two sizes, large (Sultan) and small (Genie).

They are also commonly called "Sazco" cookers, as the company name, Sazco, is emblazoned on the draft door (Sazegar... Sazco... get it?).

These units were marketed, not as an ancient Japanese tradition, but instead as the modern version of clay cooking vessels used by middle-eastern desert nomads!

Very nice cookers, and way ahead of the competition back in the day.

One thing to note is that, of the two design patents, Richard's was filed first (by 4 days) but granted later (by two months). So then, one has to wonder, why didn't Richard get a Utility Patent on the kamado, and shut down all chance of competition? Ha ha ha... because our friend, Farhad Sazegar, had already done it!

SAZEGAR INCLOSED BARBECUE UNIT

That's right it was FARHAD SAZEGAR, inventor of the Casa-Q ceramic barbecue who owned the UTILITY PATENT for kamado style cookers. "But wait, that utility patent was granted a full year later, and wasn't even filed until 10 days after RJ's design patent was granted!" Ah yes, but when you dig into the patent you find this explanatory note:

Yes indeed, Farhad Sazegar beat Richard Johnson to the patent by almost TWO YEARS. So when RJ went to try to patent the Japanese cookers he imported (notice I did not say "invented"), he found out that he was too late to the game. Thus, he had to settle for a design patent.

Flash forward 30 years, and Richard thought he could make up a grand story about his "invention" and "patent" and for the most part, it worked. Richard has even told Sazco owners that he sued Sazco for patent infringement and won, and had all of Sazco's molds and factory destroyed. If RJ had run an honest business, it's likely nobody would have every looked into his claims. But, once again, his nature and the Internet have come back to bite him. Obviously, we would LOVE to hear more information about Sazegar and his beautiful cookers. If you have any information, please let us know!

Wink
tskyrocket

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:42 pm    

I knew I liked Richard Crenna...

Not only a great actor in the Rambo series, but a bbq pioneer!
Unbelievable

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:16 pm    

Cheap Casa-Q Knock-Off!

Wow! Now that's a great post! I noticed something very interesting in picture 2 #2. The small cooker looks a lot like my #1. Notice the bar that holds up the top and locks it to keep it from slamming shut. Then in the photo it shows the small cooker with the same designed carrying handles as mine. Why Richard didn't invent the cooker at all? I have a cheap knock-off of a Casa-Q. Shocked
outlaw99

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:20 pm    

that is some serious detective work! And it all checks out. Can't wait to see if RJ responds to this.
Nemesis

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:26 pm    

Another documented lie from the Johnson faction. I wonder if "KamadoFan" will discredit that one, or want it proven in court, too?
The Spanker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:47 pm    

Very intriguing stuff.

So they filed design patents within 4 days of each other??? Bet there's some cloak and dagger stuff behind that "coincidence." Jeepers the mind boggles. Especially with RJ's supposed past CIA career.

Not sure that, despite the Persian name, Farhad Sazegar could ever convince me that the Casa Q was of middle eastern origin. Maybe it was the entrepreneurial license of the time... give your product an exotic name and history and never expect to get called on it. Unless someone finds a photo of a MushiCasaQ, that's my theory and I'm sticking to it.
tcoliver

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:19 pm    

Wow!!! That is truly fascinating. Its still truly amazing that he continues to try to fool people even though he's been called out so many times. Good work!!
fishtail-99

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:49 pm    

Oh god, I can't stop laughing. Will it never end? Is Richard Johnson even his real name?
Unbelievable

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:52 pm    

R.J. VS. R.C.

I would sure like a copy of the Sand Pebbles Casa-Q cookbook. It probably won't be very long before Richard Johnson meets Richard Crenna. I'll bet Crenna punches him right in the nose. Surprised
The Spanker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:03 pm    

Re: R.J. VS. R.C.

Unbelievable wrote:
It probably won't be very long before Richard Johnson meets Richard Crenna.

Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz

Unless Crenna was a total shit in RL, they probably won't be meeting. Wink
Nerka

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:16 pm    

This is really just to funny. RJ is always saying how people have copied his design but it is now clear that he copied someone else.
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:23 pm    

For Unbelievable

Unbelievable wrote:
I would sure like a copy of the Sand Pebbles Casa-Q cookbook.

Here you go!

SAND PEBBLES COOK BOOK
tkline01

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:01 am    

Found this from 2005 on the Kamado forum....interesting how "Seavandal" mentions that RJ enlightened him on the demise of the Sazco company.

http://www.kamado.com/discus/messages/1/14896.html?1192587457
Unbelievable

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:29 am    

You the Man!

Thanks for the link. Now I can cook authentic Crenna Recipes on my Knock-Off Casa-Q! Casa-Q also has a warranty against chipping and cracking and i'll bet Farhad Sazegar would have made good on his warranty. Probably a man of integrity. Maybe Farhad will punch R.J. in the nose. Very Happy
fishtail-99

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:54 pm    

Perhaps someone should print the REAL patent out and offer it for sale on eBay. The description would be very interesting!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Kamado Fraud Forum Index :: Problems with Richard J All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: