Kamado Fraud Forum    
Kamado Fraud Forum    

Moldy Koal? Eat it up!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Kamado Fraud Forum Index :: Charcoal K-tastrophy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:53 pm    

Moldy Koal? Eat it up!

Quote:
Out of old Koal
Kamado Discussion Forum » The Kampfire » Out of old Koal

Wheatridge
Post Number: 71
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 3:21 pm:
I recently ran out of the original extruded Koal that I purchased when I bought my grill. A year or more ago I got in on a pallet delivery to Portland and bought more. When I got into the box this weekend it had some mold on it. Does anyone else have any experience with this? Should I worry or is it okay. Quality meat is so expensive these days.

Brianw
Post Number: 1565
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 3:24 pm:
By the time you light it and it comes up to temp, anything living is long gone. I'd use it without hesitation.

Admin
Board Administrator
Post Number: 111
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 3:36 pm:
If you liked the old KEC you will like the new as it is the same as from the Philippines or mabye better. In the mean time we agree with Brianw re the burn-off.

Oh, it's fine, chow down!

But then you read things like this site:

http://www.burningissues.org/mold2005.htm

Quote:
Fungus: Wood and wood ash are known to be sources that bring mold and fungus into the home. Combustion does not kill mold spores, it spreads them. Dead wood is a wonderful growing medium for mold. Fruiting spores from the mold 'infect' other areas in the home. Surfaces such as books, carpeting, plants and walls provide the food needed for the new colonies of mold to flourish with a dose of humidity. Pets, and the human body provide their own humidity!!

For example one such test found mold growing from the wood ash: " The following Antigens (Greer Labratories, Lenoir, NC) were selected based on isolates from the ash cultures: Thermoactinomyces vulgaris (0.1%), Aspergillus fumigatus (0.1%,Micropolyspora faeni (1/50 wt/vol), Cladosporium herbarium (1/20 wt/vol), Alternaria tenius (1/10 wt/vol), and Penicillium sp. mixture (1/10 wt/vol)." "Interstitial Lung Disease and Domestic Wood Burning": Ramage, Roggli, bell and Piantadosi, AM REV RESPIR DIS 1988; 137:1229-1232

Oh, that IS tasty indeed! Ah well, at least the new Koal is the best ever, right?

Razz
Nemesis

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:53 pm    

Richard must be losing his marketing edge. Maybe missing a few doses of his Geritol lately??

If he were on his game, we would have seen him touting all of those colonies and "very special" and "proprietary" or maybe "invented/patented". He would be telling you why the "magic mold" made his koal the best ever!
fishtail-99

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:39 am    

Indeeed! Richard Johnson invented mold, didn't you know? He invented the word "mold". He invented the word "Kamado" and he also invented Japan. Yes, Japan didn't exist before he flew there in the 1960's as an airline pilot. Getting there and finding no place to land, he invented Japan just seconds before his airplane would have run out of fuel. He set the plane down, looked around, said, "What this place needs is a Kamado. I think I'll invent one."

F*** me, the things we think of......
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:08 am    

Coal in NJ

Quote:
Smokin_amish
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 4:30 am:

I still have ~80 boxes of KEC and `12 of lump in my garage, if anyone in the area wants to pick some up.

Johann
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 1:23 pm:

Where in NJ? and cost=?

Smokin_amish
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 8:23 am:

Cherry Hill, $14.50/box

Wheatridge
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 9:40 am:

What vintage is it? Golden oldy or new and moldy?

Hahaha!

Twisted Evil
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:47 am    

Quite the experts they are!

Quote:
Admin
Board Administrator
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 10:46 am:

The analysis of spores spreading is not applicable. The spores are not spread they are burned. There is no where to spread.

Really? Seems to me they would spread like smoke or ash, considering their size. And with the draft in these cookers that would be... UP... onto your food.

Confused

I think these guys have the right idea:

Quote:
Surfside
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 11:49 am:

Hmmm, the information on that website seems to indicate that spores are not burned. If that is so, then it would seem that the mold spores would indeed be contained in the cooker and thus be concentrated on the food. That doesn't sound too nice. I think I would avoid moldy charcoal.

Thanks,
Bill Norton (Surfside)

Johnnyboy
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 12:10 pm:

You might want to check with your Physician. I have allergies to mold; not sure if it's the same type on the coal, but my Physician recommended I not burn/use it.

But what do they know? The Johnson's are obviously experts on this subject. Take their sound medical advice. You'll be fine.

Shocked
fishtail-99

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:03 pm    

I think Richard Johnson must have gone to medical school after he got out of law school. WTF? Oh, wait. Remember? RJ is immune to lawsuits since he is always on the run and never enters the US now. He can spew all the quack pseudo medical advice he wants to and hurt all of his customers that he wants to. They can't touch him...

I tried some searching and couldn't come up with any additional information about mold spores. Anyone else find anything?
fishtail-99

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:00 am    

I didn't get it captured, but they deleted a post by Surfside that simply argued that spores would land on the food and are not destroyed by fire! Amazing. Essentially they deleted a post that said was already in the thread!
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:01 am    

Here you go:

Some fanboys jump in to defend the deliciousness of mold spores:

Quote:
Posted by Brianw on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 10:03 am:

Mold spores are extremely hardy. That's why mold has been around since
long before we were here, and will be around long after. Put a Petri
dish with the right medium out anywhere other than a clean room where
electronics are manufactured and I guarantee you that you'll get mold
spores. Unless you stop breathing, you're getting mold spores.

The vast majority of anything that's on the charcoal is going up and
out as it's initially heated. I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that if you
measured spore concentrations, you'd find the inside of the K where
"moldy" charcoal had been ignited to have a far LOWER concentration
than say the air outside in Los Angeles (where I live)--or any urban
area. Keep in mind that once ignited, there is a strong "up and out"
airflow. Things (other than heat, which is deliberately retained) are
not being "concentrated," they're being ejected!

Quote:
Posted by Alibubba on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 10:25 am:

I agree completely with Brian. One other point. In our very humid
Houston summers I've had mold growing on charcoal which has previously
been burned and extinguished, and sitting in K unused for a week or
so. It's never been a concern. It just gets blasted with my weed
burner when I relight.

Someone refocuses on the truth:

Quote:
Posted by Surfside on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 10:39 am:

Brian, agreed that the spores probably are transported upward from the
charcoal and out of the cooker, but if there is a large piece of meat
between the charcoal and the exit point, mold spores are going to land
on the meat.

Alibubba, we aren't discussing mold, we are discussing mold spores,
which apparently are not destroyed by fire.

It would seem that it is just better not to mess with moldy charcoal
in the first place and eliminate all doubt. Personally, I would be
afraid of liability issues if a) I sold moldy charcoal, and b) I
advised customers to just go ahead and use it.

Thanks,
Bill Norton (Surfside)

And >poof< it's gone like a puff of spores.
The Spanker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:05 pm    

Re: Here you go:

Quote:
Posted by Brianw on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 10:03 am:

Mold spores are extremely hardy. That's why mold has been around since
long before we were here, and will be around long after. Put a Petri
dish with the right medium out anywhere other than a clean room where
electronics are manufactured and I guarantee you that you'll get mold
spores. Unless you stop breathing, you're getting mold spores.

The vast majority of anything that's on the charcoal is going up and
out as it's initially heated. I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that if you
measured spore concentrations, you'd find the inside of the K where
"moldy" charcoal had been ignited to have a far LOWER concentration
than say the air outside in Los Angeles (where I live)--or any urban
area. Keep in mind that once ignited, there is a strong "up and out"
airflow. Things (other than heat, which is deliberately retained) are
not being "concentrated," they're being ejected!

Well, by this logic, the moldy coal is perfectly safe as long as no one is near it when it's burning. Maybe there will be instructions on how to hold your breath in the overdue April newsletter.

Of course, you have to take anything BrianW has to say regarding lung disease with a grain of salt. He's been up RJ's ass so long that a lung full of mold spores seems like a breath of fresh air.

Frankly, as much as I hate to side with the fanboys here, I'm skepticial that the moldy charcoal does pose much of a health threat. God knows I've burned plenty of seasoned hickory with small gray/green spots in the creases of the wood fibers. And I've stood beside many a campfire. Then again, maybe I'll die of the lung disease mentioned in the reference cited above. Despite my skepticism, neither me, nor RJ, nor one of his forum toadies is qualified to discount any potential threat.

Just the same, I'll go on burning wood chunks.

I've yet to see anyone report any tastes imparted on food cooked with seriously moldy charcoal. I see a blind study in The Naked Whiz's future Laughing . Hey Whiz: soak a bag of RO and place it under a tarp in the shade for two months. Dry it on your driveway. Your neighbors already think your nuts. I'll pay for the meat. Just don't ask me to eat any of it. And don't ask your dog to eat it either.

Regardless, even if any threat is small and if there is no objectionable taste produced, the charcoal should still never have been sold. It was esthetically displeasing. This is a premium product with a high sticker price. The same mold in a bag of Royal Oak would have had Walmart pulling it off the shelves. I remember a long deleted post on the K forum that referenced an article from MIT on charcoal manufacture as a cottage industry in Haiti. It was stated that moldly charcoal was unsuitable for the marketplace.

That's right, in Haiti. Where desperate mothers sometimes feed their infants dirt to placate their growling bellies.

The fact is that the the Kamado Company once again chose to hide behind the hassle and expense of returning a product that should have never reached the consumer. It's indefensible, whether your name is Johnson, or BrianW or Alibubba.
fishtail-99

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:42 am    

Imagine you bought a brand new BMW and found mold growing under the driver's seat. Richard Johnson would tell you that the sun in summer will dry it out and burn if off. Don't worry about it. For God's sake don't ask me for a refund.

Bottom line is that RJ sold defective merchandise, disgusting defective merchandise, and then won't refund your money. (Technical point: He will refund your money but only if you pay to ship the moldy charcoal back to him. Since you won't get the same shipping rates that RJ gets, you will spend maybe $10 to get back $7 for each box of moldy charcoal that you bought. After having already paid maybe $7 to ship the moldy charcoal to you. But there is a bright side to all of this. Since most of the boxes of charcoal are underweight, you won't have to ship as much charcoal as you thought!)

Again and again we ask ourselves, why would ANYONE do business with this man?
Nemesis

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:53 am    

fishtail-99 wrote:
(Technical point: He will refund your money but only if you pay to ship the moldy charcoal back to him. Since you won't get the same shipping rates that RJ gets, you will spend maybe $10 to get back $7 for each box of moldy charcoal that you bought. After having already paid maybe $7 to ship the moldy charcoal to you. But there is a bright side to all of this. Since most of the boxes of charcoal are underweight, you won't have to ship as much charcoal as you thought!)

HAHAHA! That is the best I have heard in a while! You dont actually think you would get a check or credit back from him do you?!? You would be rid of the offending mold by sending it back, but you would be out of pocket $24/box at that point (cost plus shipping both ways) Laughing

On the upside, maybe if enough people sent his mold back to him, there would be a high enough concentration of spores in his garage to finally give the guy a taste of his own penicillin.
Razz
foxhound

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:39 am    

Since the mold spores are airborne, I would be concerned to have them around my home much less to BBQ with it. We had a local judge develop really nasty skin lesions due to a particularly nasty mold that was growing in the walls and ceiling of her office.

I had a friends brother go through a nightmare with really bad mold in their home. I have a friend being treated for a mold that is in her lungs. Shocked She is being told it will take a year on antibiotics to get rid of it. Trying to salvage or keep the moldy charcoal could present a much greater problem then it is worth.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Kamado Fraud Forum Index :: Charcoal K-tastrophy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: