Kamado Fraud Forum    
Kamado Fraud Forum    

Need general advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kamado Fraud Forum Index :: Kamado Grief in General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wardlewis

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:02 am    

Need general advice

I am the "new kid" on the forum. It appears that my problems are much the same as most other members. Bottom line, I have a Terra Blue -7- with a broken ceramic "top hat". The steel assembly that holds it together and in place is frozen. Have tried everything under the sun to free it up, from a torch to every lubricant made. From the little I have read it seems as if the best bet is to saw the balance out and to jerry rig something such as a paving stone on top to control the heat?

Next question - do you know has anyone that has purchased a Kamodo Kamado? If so, how happy are they with it? How does it compare, performance, customer service, etc.?

Thank you in advance for your advice and input.

Ward Lewis Sad
fishtail-99

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:28 pm    

Ward, you can rest assured that the Komodo Kamado is top notch cooker, with top notch service. They have a very active forum that you can go lurk in if you like to see if you find any of the same types of negative experiences that have flooded the Kamado forum.
wardlewis

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:16 pm    

Thank you for your reply. If I were to sell my Kamado 7 with a broken top hat, what do you think I could reasonably expect to get? Other than the top hat, it is in great condition and has the propane starter.
Got my Money back

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:37 am    

wardlewis - as fishtail stated, the KOmodo-Kamado company is the best in the business. I have a biased opinion because I have purchased three of Dennis' masterpieces since Nov 2007, but that aside, Dennis' attention to product detail and customer service is second to none.

My short story:
I was hosed by Richard Johnson when I ordered one of his POSK, but got my money back from him 8 months and several nasty emails from Richards obnoxious wife later.
wardlewis

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:05 am    

Thank you for your input on the Komodo Kamado. Congratulations on getting your money back. I purchased mine about 10 years ago. It has had light use at best. Am retired now, so now have time to work with it. The top hat only broke recently - we moved and I didn't use it for quite a while - then tried to force the top open, and that is when it broke.

I did smell a rat when I first purchased it and they were supposed to include some of the coconut charcoal - didn't get it and they never made any attempt to send me some after numerous inquires.

When I purchased the Kamado I also got ALL the extra options, turkey hanger, pizza stone, etc. I assume that those can be used in the Komodo Kamado?
Got my Money back

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:50 am    

I would suggest you review the list of components that come standard with the KOmodo Kamado. It is pretty well loaded as standard.

You'll be able to use your pizza stone, however Dennis has his own he has made from the same material as the cooker body. I find it works excellent.

I am not certain the turkey hanger will translate because i don't know how it gets setup.
Porkchop

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:05 am    

wardlewis, i've got a #7 as well with the very same problem; top hat frozen open. i'll address a few of your questions...

1) my jerry-rig for the top hat: tinfoil. when i have had occasion to use the #7 in its current condition, i made a "snake" out of tinfoil and jammed it in the space, leaving a gap for exhaust. that gap is easily adjusted to regulate temps. ugly, but better to make due than do without.

2) i also have a Komodo Kamado OTB, and it's almost unfair to compare it to the #7. amongst the many features, it included a stainless "bolt" for the top hat that remains as smooth as the day i purchased it.

3) i also have the turkey hanger, and it won't fit the OTB, so there you go. personally, i don't see an advantage over using a v-rack, so no loss there.

i saw that paving stone jerry-rig on the kamado site. to be honest, not a bad looking repair. the old BGE had a similar sort of cap that came standard, but lots of problems with it, because it wasn't bolted on, and would fall off and break when you lifted the dome. they solved that problem with a metal topper that had a sleeve which slips over the stack.

but honestly, if you're just biding your time til you move on up to something better like a KK or BGE, tinfoil works great Smile
wardlewis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:09 pm    

Dear Porkchop,

Thank you for your help and taking the time to send me to your 2 replies to solve my problem.
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:21 am    

My hunting buddy is a stainless steel contractor. Took him about 15 minutes to fix the problem without cracking my top hat.

The welding on my top had looks like pigeon crap. The 3 legs of the spider are haphazardly welded to a central nut. From expansion of the material the legs of the spider actually compress the nut and crimp the screw mechanism creating an interference fit. You cannot just blue wrench the thing loose.

I held a sledge hammer head behind the spider and struck the nut with a center punch at each of the three "welds" Then we drilled small relief holes into the nut. Now it spins freely.

If they had welded each spider arm tangentially to the face of the nut the expansion would merely turn the nut instead of compress it.
wardlewis

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:12 am    

Dear Whiskey Tango Foxtrot,

Thank you for your email and advice. Unfortunately, my top hat is broken due to trying to force it open and now in quite a number of pieces. Too bad I didn't follow your advice earlier!
Gerard

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:28 pm    

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot wrote:

I held a sledge hammer head behind the spider and struck the nut with a center punch at each of the three "welds" Then we drilled small relief holes into the nut. Now it spins freely.

Sounds great but I'm having a hard time understanding how you were able to access both sides of the spider while still in the dome. Any possibility you could reenact what you did and take a couple of photos. It might be a huge help to many people through years to come.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot wrote:

If they had welded each spider arm tangentially to the face of the nut the expansion would merely turn the nut instead of compress it.

I thought the ends of the spider arms fit into metal sleeves that were embedded in the dome... hence the play that the tops had. If that's the case, there shouldn't have been any compression. Unless, of course, they changed their design somewhere along the way.
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:32 am    

Gerard, I'd be happy to post pics. It's raining now, but when the wether clears I will snap a few shots
Gerard

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:05 pm    

That'll be great. Won't help my K, it's in pieces under a decade's worth of poison ivy, but if you and your friend have a workable fix - you'll have bailed out a bunch of folks for now and years to come.

Better post those photos quick, before RJ patents your technique! Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kamado Fraud Forum Index :: Kamado Grief in General All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: